The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland that lies across the trachea at the base of the throat. One of the largest endocrine (hormone secreting) glands in the body the thyroid gland produces and secretes thyroid hormones, mostly T4 (inactive) and small amounts of T3 (active). When needed T4 is typically converted in the liver, kidney and other tissue to active T3. The primary action of thyroid hormone is to raise the body’s metabolic rate-that is, to increase the rate of oxygen consumption and energy expenditure. Thyroid hormones are also essential for normal growth and development in children, interacts with other hormones to modulate carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism, and controls other important biological functions. Thyroid Support is a synergistic combination of nutrients and herbs designed to help support thyroid hormone production, activation and function, all of which are needed for normal, healthy thyroid function.*
- Comprehensive support for normal, healthy thyroid function.*
- Combination of essential vitamins and minerals to help support thyroid function.*
- Synergistic combination of standardized botanical extracts to help support healthy thyroid function, metabolism and stress response.*
- Gluten free
Thyroid hormone production:
- L-Tyrosine is an essential component of thyroid hormones, and helps support the production of hormones that affect mood, energy level and stress response.*
- Kelp provides a natural source of the trace mineral iodine, an essential component of thyroid hormones.
- Vitamins B6 and C are cofactors required for the body’s natural production and metabolism of tyrosine.
- Copper is an essential cofactor for the enzyme responsible for producing thyroid hormones.
Thyroid hormone receptor structure/function:
- Vitamins A and D are important for thyroid hormone receptor function. Thyroid hormone (T3) must effectively bind to specific cellular receptors, which in turn supports energy production and nutrient metabolism.*
- Zinc plays an important role in the structure of thyroid hormone receptors, allowing for efficient binding and function of thyroid hormones.*
Thyroid hormone activation:
- Selenium is an essential cofactor for the deiodinase (removes iodine) enzymes responsible for converting inactive T4 (thyroxine) into the active T3 (triiodothyronine) hormone, which takes place mostly in the liver and kidney, but in other tissues as well.*
Metabolic and additional support:
- Folic acid along with B6 help support homocysteine metabolism; elevated homocysteine levels have been shown to affect normal, healthy thyroid function.*
- Thyroid hormone is intimately associated with regulation of energy production and mitochondrial function, both of which require adequate magnesium.*
- Studies demonstrate the ability of EGCG, a catechin compound found in green tea, to increase the amount of calories used by the body.*
- The active compounds in the herb guggulipid, known as guggulsterones, help support iodine uptake by the thyroid gland, essential for the production of thyroid hormones.*
- Bacopa monniera has been shown to support the production of thyroid hormones as well as address cognitive function typically affected by sub-optimal thyroid function.*
- Ashwagandha contains active compounds known as withanolides which have been shown to promote healthy thyroid and adrenal gland function. This herb is an effective adaptogen, helping the body better respond to stress; stress being a critical factor affecting normal, healthy thyroid function.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.