In the last video, Back to the Basics: Movement, Joe discussed the reasons why exercise is so important. In this segment, we take it a step further to try to motivate you to move! People know that exercise is good for them, but we do not always do what we know is good for us. Hopefully the information shared in this video will help you understand the many facets of your overall health that exercise can impact. We hope you find motivation to move!
Key Motivating Factors:
- Be willing to do something that you have never done before to create your future
- Recognize the status quo is not working
- Find and make the time
- Be willing to build your future not around your past
- Do not let past failures or excuses frame your future
Key Evidence through Research Studies:
- Older individuals that diet, but do not exercise, tend to lose muscle mass. Combination of diet and exercise is the most effective way to lose weight and become more fit. Individuals in the study that did both diet and exercise lost more weight compared to people who only change their diet. (University of Pittsburgh)
- High intensity exercise works best to reduce anxiety and stress, which may lead to a reduction in heart disease. High intensity exercise is particularly beneficial for women. (University of Missouri)
- Exercise has a favorable effect on heart function. The heart does not necessarily need permanent rest after a heart attack. Exercise should be included, after speaking with a physician, in the recovery. Exercise promotes the release of endorphins, which helps remodel the heart. (University of Alberta)
- Exercise can play an important role in improving the physical and mental well being of individuals with schizophrenia. Exercise programs improve the mental state measures, including anxiety and depression, when compared to standard care alone. (Cochran Library)
- Sessions of moderate aerobic exercise can reduce anxiety states improve sleep quality in insomnia patients. The time it takes to fall asleep was reduced by 54%, and the awaken time was shortened by 36%. (Meeting of Associates Professional Sleep Studies)
- Endorphins and opiods released during exercise make you feel good, but also help protect against heart attacks exercise released. This also creates a “high” during aerobic exercise.
- Exercise can have a similar effect like Topamax This help protects against migraines (University of Gothenberg, Sweden)
- Exercise is widely under utilized for the treatment of chronic back and neck pain
- Exercise helps burn fat and carbohydrates during exercise.
Even though God is control of our life, our decisions affect our future. You can work around injuries and other areas that hold you back from finding time and motivations.
Key Closing Tips:
- Pray for diligence
- Respect mentors
- Understand good advice and counsel
- Surround yourself with other productive individuals
- Broken focus is the reason people fail
- Develop good habits
- What you make happen for others, God will make happen for you.
We hope you find the motivation to include exercise as part of your routine.