Try some of the following substitutions to convert traditional recipes to healthier recipes:
- MEAT STOCK: can be replaced with vegetable soup stock
- In YEAST BREADS try leaving out the eggs
- Use crumbled tofu instead of COTTAGE CHEESE
- Replace traditional PORK AND BEANS with vegetarian baked beans
- Replace EGGS when used for liquid in recipes by adding one of the follow substations:
- 2 Tbsp of another liquid such as lemon juice or water
- 1/2 of a banana
- 1/4 cup of raw applesauce or ground zucchini
- To REPLACE EGGS when used as a binder, try using:
- mashed potatoes
- fine bread crumbs
- Or try using 1/2 cup flax seeds and 1 1/2 cups distilled water.
Grind the flax seeds to a fine powder, add water and blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
Chill for 1 hour. This will keep us to 2 days refrigerated.
- To REPLACE ONE EGG, use 1/4 cup of the flax seed mixture
- To REPLACE 4 EGGS use 1 cup of the flax seed mixture
- To make CREAM SOUPS, add rice that has been cooked and the pureed, or add some potatoes and allow them to cook down or mash
- Replace BUTTER MILK with rice milk to which 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar has been added
- Replace GROUND MEATS with lots of cut-up vegetables or try TVP (texturized vegetable protein). TVP is a soy product and be purchased at health food stores
- In BAKED GOODS, replace fat (butter, margarine or shortening) with applesauce, mashed bananas, pumpkin or ground zucchini. Bananas, applesauce and pumpkin will add flavor, zucchini will not.
- Use whole grains with a portion of the mix being UN-BLEACHED WHITE FLOUR instead of white flour.
- To sauté without oil, use lemon juice (or other citrus juices), vegetable broth, or water. Celtic Sea Salt (gray color), minced garlic, finely chopped onions/ or your favorite herbs will add lots of flavor. This method is preferred instead of using oil.
- Replace SALT AND PEPPER with herbs and juices to put a whole new taste sensation together. For example, with broccoli try lemon juice, nutmeg, basil, curry, oregano or garlic. With steamed carrots, try adding parsley, lemon juice, cinnamon, mace, thyme, honey or allspice.
- Replace SUGAR with 1/2 to 2/3 cups raw honey, molasses or maple syrup, or a combination of these for each cup of sugar called for in a recipe. Add 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp in any CAKE RECIPE that does not call for it, as it will make the cake lighter.
Sugar to Honey Substitution
For each 1 cup of sugar called for in a recipe,
substitute 1/2 cup of honey and decrease the liquid by 1/4 cup
If there are no liquid ingredients,
add 1/4 cup of flour for each 1/2 cup of honey
June 28, 2010