July 18, 2014
Do you experience a burning in your stomach? Chest discomfort, pressure or pain?
If you have ruled out heart problems or gall bladder issues, then you may be suffering from acid reflux disease.
Main Contributors to Acid Reflux:
– Stress or anxiety
– Low or high HCL production
– Hiatal Hernia
– Poor enzyme (digestive) production
– Gall stones
– Obesity Candida Parasites, bacterial overgrowth (GI)
Food Contributors to Acid Reflux:
– Orange Juice
– Alcohol (can specifically lower LES tone)
– Tomato based foods
– Spicy fatty foods
Tips & Management:
– Do not eat meals under stress
– Do not read, watch T.V., or engage in stressful conversations while eating
– Eat small meals, more frequently to avoid overeating
– Chew food thoroughly
– Only consume warm beverages before meals; try warm tea before a meal
– Minimize excessive fluid consumption during meals; fluids should be consumed predominantly between meals
– Avoid sugary drinks and desserts with animal proteins
Heartburn/Acid Reflux Protocol:
1 scoop in 4oz. of water daily, 20 minutes before breakfast. May repeat a second dose before dinner, if necessary.
1-2 lozenges dissolved slowly in mouth after meals, and as needed
Diane Silverman R.Ph.
Ask The Pharmacist Group